Thursday 13 October 2011

My favorite piece of Motion Graphics!

The Littlest Elf - Loverly Spring



This is a little piece of motion graphics I discovered a while back when I was a preteen and had a celebrity crush on Klaus (Liam Aiken) in the movie: Series of Unfortunate Events. The movie starts with this motion graphics piece where we see a few opening credits. For those of you who haven't watched the movie, it's based on Lemony Snicket's famous children novel series. The series (Series of Unfortunate Events) focuses on the depressing lives of 3 orphan siblings. Therefore, starting the movie with this too-happy, cheery clip added a creative contrast that entertained viewers.

Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to have been successful since they stopped re-making the 13-book series into movies after the very first one. It's a shame because despite all the negative qualities in the movies, I believe the aesthetic design elements were great and creative in the movie, as seen through this introduction. I also liked the actors, especially my favourite, Jim Carrey!

I'm not sure if the environment and characters were hand-made or completely animated (maybe both?) but I love how it looks. It's got this warm, arts & craft feel. The characters look like it's been made of some kind of play-dough. I'm thinking of perhaps crafting my stop motion piece in this style if I could.

I love this piece because there are so many cool and vivid elements (music, effects, cool typeface, colors) that blend together and balance very nicely. The successful use of design in all aspects makes this an overall charming and funny piece. This story of the little elf puts a smile on my face everytime and I really get drawn into this little village every time I watch it!

PS I'm sorry my other posts were so long - but I made this one shorter! :)

- Karoline
(week 6)

No comments:

Post a Comment