Thursday 15 September 2011

My Digital Footprint!

This week I learned about digital footprints.

A digital footprint is basically one's online identity formed through their digital traces or memory of their time online. The internet is a constant and rapidly growing media - a enormous network filled with accessible data, and because of this accessibility, it allows future employers to determine the apparent type of person you are! They can look you up on google and search through what you have made public: such as various social media networks and your interactions within websites. This could determine whether you get hired somewhere - so shouldn't you be careful?! YES.
This class taught me so much: it made me aware and has motivated me to take action in making my online identity the best it could be! And I'm excited to start!

What I found....

What I liked!
So I looked myself up on google. Luckily, I'm one of the few Karoline/Karolina Podolaks out there so I did find some information about myself. I've found a few articles about a few photography contests I won (not to brag... hehe), a couple youtube videos I made by myself as well as with friends, samples of poetry for a CD I was recorded in. I also found the URL to this blog and credits to my fashion photography. Check it out if you'd like! I also found a few pictures of myself on images thanks to myspace (I totally forgot I even had one...)
Unfortunately, google results vary between Karolina Podolak (Birth name) and Karoline Podolak (What I go with) so employers would most likely only see what I was credited for as "Karoline".

What I didn't like...
I found links to comments I made on facebook groups which were pretty random. So I just wanted to clean them up. I logged on and deleted most of them, especially ones from when I was in grade 9/10, which were pretty obnoxious.
Funny story: I found a pair of parrots in my backyard two years back. I wanted to give them back to their owners because they were gorgeous birds, so I announced a post about these parrots on a regional lost and found pet website. Well, the owners of that website distributed my post to a bunch of other related websites. So when I looked my name up on google about 2 years ago, there were about 10 links to my "FOUND 2 PARROTS" announcement on different websites! People were even discussing about my post! I had to contact each website and ask them to take the posts down because I found their owner long ago!
The original post is on there though... pretty funny actually: http://www.parrotsnow.com/found-2-parrots.html

Anyways, to improve my digital footprint/online identity, I'm going to take these steps:
1) Create a flavors.me portfolio!
2) Create a google profile
3) Buy my own domain name!
4) Start a youtube channel. I'm really excited for this. I'm going to upload classic rock covers (me singing and playing the guitar), vlogs, fun video projects/skits, and some interesting secret talents I have.... (You'll see!)
5) As stated before, delete some of my activity on Facebook so it doesn't show up on google. My activity isn't bad or anything - I could just do without it. I know it's always going to be in Facebook history but at least it'll be off google... at least I hope so.

Considering my decisions and plans, I think we should all take action to create our own positive digital identities. We have the power to do so and who knows, this can help with our careers! You'll look great and plus young adults who are active and knowledgable in social media platforms are great resources for many industries. However, when it comes to opening up about your personal matters - don't do it. And NEVER share rude and negative thoughts and comments - it's offensive anytime and will get you nowhere. Besides that, take this opportunity to flourish your online identity! Leave a good mark.

I feel in control.


- Karoline
(Week 2)

* I got this image from: http://optimizedstrategies.com/publications/how-to-guides/10-steps-powerful-online-digital-footprint/ - Thank you!

No comments:

Post a Comment